The UNM Testing Center is currently not offering in-center testing due to the COVID-19 related safety precautions and instructions. However, we are offering virtual Accuplacer testing for UNM course placement purposes. Prior to scheduling your test session with us, please contact your UNM academic advisor for additional information about which placement test you may need. Admitted students entering UNM for the first time may need to attend New Student Orientation first – please follow this link to sign-up for your NSO session (https://nso.unm.edu/). You can locate and make an appointment with your academic advisor (https://students.unm.edu/navigating-your-major/index.html) here.
The UNM Testing Center uses Accuplacer, a computer adaptive test for students who have never taken an ACT exam or students who want to challenge their ACT/SAT score(s). Results with placement recommendations are printed immediately after completion of the test(s). Students may take a math, reading and/or English placement test(s) to "place out" of introductory studies classes. These tests are for placement only, not for course credits. The mathematics and English departments use the highest scores for placement. Contact the Testing Center, located at the Casas del Rio – Main Campus, at 277-5346 for additional information.
There is a $5.00 fee for taking each Accuplacer test. (Please visit our payment tab for details) All fees are non-refundable.
- No appointment is needed.
- Testing hours are Monday-Friday from 8am-2pm (Some exceptions may apply based on availability and/or staffing).
- Students may only take the placement test(s) once per day.
- You must have a current photo ID and your UNM student ID number to test.
- Personal calculators are not allowed but an onscreen calculator (basic and scientific) will be provided from within the exam when needed.
- Sample test questions can be viewed online at Accuplacer.
- Additional Accuplacer Placement Testing information. You can see the UNM test course placement table here.